Identity Card


All Slovak adults must carry an identity card (Občiansky preukaz) and after a maximum of 90 days we were required to apply for a residence permit (Trvalý pobyt) the equivalent for EU nationals staying in Slovakia. The card is issued by the local police, but a great deal of paperwork is required to obtain the card. For Nicci the process was slightly more simple as she could produce her contract of employment (albeit translated into Slovak and notarised!) as justification for her residence. As for myself as I am not working, I had to prove my marriage status to Nicci. This involves translating the marriage certificate into Slovak and having it notarised in the country of issue. As we were married in the USA this was a long process, involving sending the certificate back to Louisiana, and having it processed. We also have to provide a variety of documents relating to our status in Slovakia (all duly notarised) including details of our rented home.


Finally though we are ready to submit our application today, and thankfully we have had assistance from Price Waterhouse Cooper (PWC) in Slovakia in completing the forms. In a couple of weeks we should receive our cards, which will mean for example that I can have a mobile phone contract here, and that I don’t have to carry my passport in the car any more!


UPDATE: Turns out that our street is not showing on the police system which is causing a problem. Strange really as the street is quite mature, and has a lot of houses on it! Everyone else seems to acknowledge its existence apart from the police. So no card until this is sorted, fortunately PWC are handling our application, so I will leave it to them!!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *