In the north east of Slovakia lies the small village of Hervatov. Apart from its delightful setting in the rolling hills, it is an unremarkable village save for the wooden church in its centre. The Roman Catholic church of St Francis of Assisi was built in the late 15th century and is the oldest and best preserved wooden church in Slovakia. The church is made from larch wood, and no nails were used in its construction. The interior contains many valuable paintings: the Last Supper painted in tempera on wood dates back to 1653 and the wall paintings by local artist Andrei Haffchik also date from the 17th century.